Dear Teachers, Friends, and Colleagues,
It has been fruitful to hear from teachers regarding renewed cultural awareness for our piano publications. We thank you for your outreach and would like to share an update on where we are in the process.
Many have asked us whether there will be a new edition. We do not plan a “3rd Edition.” Rather, we are making select changes as we approach reprint deadlines. For instance, you will notice a handful of lyric and title updates along with new, engaging illustrations sprinkled throughout the method. Accordingly, there is no need to re-purchase your studio reference copies. We are offering free downloads of the revised pages in the linked titles below, and updating the digital editions in e-book formats. The Teacher Atlas will include both original and updated pages for easy access.
You and your students may notice the first of these edits in the marketplace this season. Here is a brief overview of the Level 2A Lesson Book which has the most updates:
- Famous People (p. 11) is now Awesome Creatures. The intrinsic rhythm in the names of some pretty wonderful creatures makes teaching 8th note patterns fun for the teacher and student. Explore other animal names to insert in the melody as a creative, rhythmic foray!
- I Am the King (p. 26) now bears a chess theme. Many students are being introduced to chess at school clubs, camps, and at home. Chess involves strategy, thinking ahead, and patience—not unlike music! A fun chat about these things may enhance learning.
- Snake Charmer (p. 60) is now Pyramids at Night. The new title and illustration invite students into the exotic sound of the G-minor 5-finger scale and added C-sharp without possible implication of animal mistreatment.
- Illustrations (not the music) have been updated for When the Saints Go Marching In (p. 8), Skip to My Lou (p. 12), Leftover Popcorn (p. 13), Ice Cream (p. 16), My Daydream (p. 20), The Puppet Show (p. 28), Pirate of the North Sea (p. 38), and Sword Dance (p. 50).
Level 1 Lesson Book
- Young Hunter (p. 17) is now about a prowling tiger, and Forest Drums (p. 36) is now Forest Song with new lyrics and art.
Level 1 Technique & Artistry Book
Level 1 Performance Book (Updated 11/2021)
- Rain Dance (p. 34) is now Dino Dance.
Level 2B Lesson Book
- Camptown Races (p. 32) and Boom Boom (p. 33) are being replaced by two beloved spirituals; I’ve Got Peace Like a River and the timeless African-American melody Deep River. We are delighted to have beautiful new orchestrations by Levi Taylor. (For fans of Boom Boom, a rendition can also be found in ShowTime Favorites (p. 19).
- Various illustrations have been updated for more multi-ethnic representation.
Level 3A Lesson Book
- Candles and Cake (p. 34) has an updated illustration and clearer harmony in the arrangement than the former edition.
Level 3B Lesson Book
- Gypsy Camp (p. 58) has been retitled Fantasia Con Spirito.
Level 5 Performance Book
- Gypsy Prayer (p. 12) has been retitled Reverie in C.
Accelerated Lesson Book 1 (Updated 10/2021)
- Camptown Races (p. 31) is replaced by the new Starlit Melody.
- Gypsy Band (p. 34) is now titled Sailor’s Tall Tale.
- Oh! Susanna (p. 40) is replaced by Home on the Range.
- Chinese Dragon (p. 62) is replaced ny the new Water Lilies.
- Forest Drums (p. 66) is now Forest Song.
Accelerated Theory Book 1 (Updated 10/2021)
- Improvise with Camptown Races (p. 23) is replaced by the new Starlit Improvisation.
Adult Piano Adventures Course Book 1 (Updated 1/2022)
- Camptown Races (p. 15) is replaced by Morning.
- Camptown Races (p. 51) is replaced by Starlit Melody.
- American Fiddle Tune (Turkey in the Straw) (p. 99) is replaced by Old Irish Blessing.
- Chinese Kites (p. 118) is replaced by Water Lilies.
We thank you again for the variety of thoughtful input. And, recognizing that even slight changes may feel disruptive, we appreciate your support and understanding. Most importantly, we greatly appreciate you joining us for a broad, inviting, and culturally aware effort for piano education today.
Updated September 6, 2022