Happy New Year, Mr. Hanon

Happy New Year, Mr. Hanon!

And to all teachers, students, adult learners, colleagues, and those who enjoy playful patterns, ceremonial chords, and an adventurous Auld Lang Syne—fueled by Mr. Hanon’s first pattern in “The Virtuoso Pianist.”

Charles Louis Hanon (1819-1900) has helped develop the technique of thousands of pianists through his patterned exercises in “The Virtuoso Pianist.” We hope you enjoy this tribute for a New Year’s frolic on the keys.

Download the sheet music and try it!

Interesting that word, “technique.” Technique defined as “of or pertaining to art and skill.” And technique as “to bring forth.” What technique might we use to bring forth the good in the coming year? Perhaps the technique it takes to improve on our instrument, the technique of communicating well to our students and others, the technique to bring forth kindness, and the technique to . . .

Share your thoughts below to celebrate the beauty and power of technique in all its facets.

Happy New Year to all!
Nancy and Randall Faber

24 Responses to “Happy New Year, Mr. Hanon”

1. Althea Wray December 29, 2021 at 10:17 am #

Will have a go myself

2. caroline levine December 29, 2021 at 10:19 am #

Happy New Year to Nancy and Randall.

I can’t tell you how much pleasure your music books have given me this year.

I’m a senior and intermediate player. My teacher sponsors a piano sharing every couple of months on Zoom with 6 seniors. This last session I played Bach’s Prelude in C and The Spinning Song, both from your books.

I like the fact that the notes in your books are larger than most in other books. Senior eyes really appreciate this. Also, I like the notes/hints in the books. I always feel prepared to learn a new hard piece.

Keep up the good work for pianists all over the world.

Caroline Levine
    Rockville, Maryland (near Washington D.C.

P.S. I just bought a Boosey& Hawkes book, Solo Piano Collection Solitude in order to get an intermediate rendition of Khatcturian’s Adagio from Spartacus. I hope I didn’t miss this piece from one of your books! It would be easier for me to read and learn if so.

3. Kp December 29, 2021 at 10:37 am #

The arrangement of Auld Lang Syne is so amazing as it covers florid finger work and chordal melodies, really fabulous!

4. Donna Leflore December 29, 2021 at 11:01 am #

Thank you! Happy New Year. I’m on#29 Hanon. But this video shows me how fast it’s really supposed to be played.

5. Miguel Arcangel December 29, 2021 at 11:38 am #

The technique to practice and improve on our patience and compassion for others…

I loved this tribute.

Thanks!

6. Soo kim December 29, 2021 at 11:48 am #

This is an excellent way to exercise and have fun at the same time! Please keep evolving and share with the teachers and students!

7. Jeraldine B Wooldridge December 29, 2021 at 12:38 pm #

Love your arrangement of Happy New Year, Mr. Hanon

8. Kathryn Imani December 29, 2021 at 12:46 pm #

Thank you! I sent this to current and graduated students! They loved it!

9. Amy Heeringa December 29, 2021 at 1:23 pm #

What a clever and fun arrangement of Happy New Year/Auld Lang Syne incorporating Mr Hanon’s technical exercises. Happy Birthday Mr Hanon!
    Thank you for sharing that with your fans.
    Joyfully, Amy Heeringa (Grand Rapids, MI)

10. Amy Heeringa December 29, 2021 at 1:25 pm #

Change that to Happy New Year Mr. Hanon…not Happy Birthday.
    Amy Heeringa

11. Sandra Bishop December 29, 2021 at 1:27 pm #

Thank you. What a wonderful arrangement!

12. Jaclynn Droge DeKuiper December 29, 2021 at 2:14 pm #

As a lover of music without the passion for performance (it makes me nervous), I desire “to bring forth” the inner joy that music can bring to any child while playing at the keyboard. And I long “to bring forth” the courage in each child to empower them to play without fear but instead with freedom to express themselves joyfully and with grace so that solace may fill their hearts and minds as we learn together at the keys.

13. Karen Louise Buckmaster December 29, 2021 at 2:16 pm #

WOW, FANTASTIC!

14. Christine Branaum December 29, 2021 at 3:05 pm #

Thank you for creating this beautiful rendition of Auld Lang Syne! It’s wonderful! Thank you for all that you both do to provide teachers like myself with amazing music for our students. Your Piano Adventures series is the favorite in my studio! I personally love all of your arrangements from Jazz to Music from China and everything in between. May you and your family have a very blessed 2022!

15. Drema December 29, 2021 at 3:27 pm #

That’s a fun and lovely arrangement! Thanks for sharing~~

16. Yufen Chou December 29, 2021 at 5:46 pm #

This is so much fun! I think many of my students will enjoy playing this piece 🙂

17. Kim December 29, 2021 at 6:48 pm #

Beautiful, thank you 🙂

18. Ruicong Li December 29, 2021 at 8:42 pm #

THANK YOU! WE LOVE IT.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

19. June D Fisher December 30, 2021 at 12:02 pm #

Happy New Year!

Thank you so much for the arrangement of Auld Lang Syne! It’s so much fun to play!

20. Mary Ann B. December 30, 2021 at 6:11 pm #

Sweet, lively, nimble finger version for New Years. I will pass along to students. Thanks and wishing you a healthy happy 2022!

21. Audrey Walter December 31, 2021 at 10:57 am #

Wishing you and your family health ,happiness and beautiful music in 2022!
    PS. Thank you for your fun rendition of Auld Lang Syne!
    Your arrangements never disappoint.

22. Kathleen B. Isberg December 31, 2021 at 5:23 pm #

Thank you! Looks like fun. I appreciate it and all your wonderful books and compositions. Happy New Year to you both!

23. Diane Madsen January 2, 2022 at 11:29 am #

Love the jazz twist with Hanon as the driver to your Auld lang Syne arrangement. Thank you for sharing! I will be sharing it with my intermediate and adult students as well.
    Happy 2022 to you and yours!

24. Dianna L Lemaire January 3, 2022 at 4:01 pm #

Thanks for sharing this piece of music with all us teachers & music lovers!