Snowball Scales

Snowball Scales opens the Technique & Artistry 2018 calendar. What do scales and snowballs have in common? Let’s find out! This rolling scale exercise from Level 2B applies the essential Technique Secret #3, Light Thumb. Dr. Faber demonstrates how to align the thumb behind each finger for tension-free preparation. The snowball scale rolls smoothly—no bumps to impede a smooth scale swoosh! Notice how the opening drop of arm weight energizes the scale gesture. Think, “Drop, roll, float-off.” Let’s try it on the 3A Lesson Book piece, Looking Glass River. Nice! Now on Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue. Wow—the ultimate snowball scale!

7 Responses to “Snowball Scales”

1. Ruth Greene January 18, 2018 at 9:05 am #

Can’t wait for my students to watch this! Exactly what they need.
    Thank you!

2. Diane Dwyer January 18, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

Thank you for this blog. As a teacher, I appreciate it very much!

3. Shona Pengelly January 18, 2018 at 3:11 pm #

Fantastic job putting it all together – invaluable motivation tesource for teacher & student!

4. Dorothy L Kirkpatrick January 19, 2018 at 12:18 am #

Thank you for the beautiful and clear explanation and demonstration of playing a scale without a thumping thumb.

5. Susan Hope Grote January 20, 2018 at 12:11 pm #

This is a very useful teacher-student tool, resource and next best thing to your workshops!!

6. Esther Jones January 31, 2018 at 11:36 am #

I love that you’re doing these based on the calendar for this year. I have it hanging in my studio, and I’ll remember this video every time I look at it now!

7. Betsy Henrichs January 31, 2018 at 11:56 am #

Thank you Esther! We’re glad you’re enjoying the calendar, and that you find the coordinating video blog is helpful reinforcement. That was our goal — thanks for letting us know we succeeded! Watch for our “Olympic Torch” video next week.