Vivaldi’s Winter Delights

It’s a New Year and what better way to begin than to meet new people. Here we introduce our chief editor for the European Editions of Piano Adventures, David Andruss. You’ve likely heard David’s expressive orchestrations on Piano Adventures CDs! Also, meet Vivaldi, the (possible) poet—with new insight into this unconventional “red priest” who helped define the concerto and wrote 350 of them for solo instrument and strings. His Winter music featured here will provide “its own delights.” From Adult Piano Adventures Classics Book 2, page 22.

6 Responses to “Vivaldi’s Winter Delights”

1. Nicole January 11, 2018 at 9:10 am #

This was an appropriate video to watch on a morning where temperatures are 40 below here in northern Alberta, Canada!

2. laurie wenzel January 11, 2018 at 10:48 am #

Beautiful! Thanks for the wonderful phrasing. It inspires me to phrase better.

3. DeAnne Prosek January 11, 2018 at 7:38 pm #

Nice expressions. Thank you for sharing. Vivaldi’s poem with his piece goes perfectly. I can picture a person running across the ice into a mature lodge.

4. Stephanie Lawrence-White February 19, 2018 at 9:34 pm #

My daughter has been working on this piece as a supplement to her regular Piano Adventures assignments. I shared the video with her and she pointed out that David’s performance of the piece in the video had a “wrong note” (her words as a kid) in b. 36. We pulled out the score from the Adult Piano Adventures Classics bk. 2 and she was right. David plays a C natural in the right hand of b. 36, but the score indicates a C#. The natural is more logical because it completes the chromatic scale, but that is not what is written in the book. I haven’t referred to Vivaldi’s score but thought I would ask: which is correct?

• Stephanie Lawrence-White February 21, 2018 at 12:12 am #

Update – I just listened to a recording of the piece and the C natural that David played was authentic to how Vivaldi composed it. I will have my daughter make the change in her playing.

• Jon Ophoff February 21, 2018 at 3:51 pm #

Yes, the C natural is correct. The book will have this updated on its next reprint. Great eyes and ears!