Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43721 - 10/15/09 11:06 PM What to wear to recital
mstrongpianist Offline

I had a parent ask me to advise her as to the proper attire for her daughter to wear to our upcoming recital. This is a fun event, relaxed atmosphere; students are performing their favorite pop songs and show tunes.

What not to wear is easy: (although it is a more casual event, I ask) no jeans, no sports uniforms, no tennis shoes.

I once had a teacher to go further with the dress code. She would especially advise her young ladies to wear hair out of the face and trim the fingernails. No matter what the theme, she always reminded her students to play their best and look their best.

Any thoughts?

#43722 - 10/16/09 12:12 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: mstrongpianist]
alidoremi Online   content
Star Member

Loc: California
This is what we use for our MTAC branch:

DRESS CODE GUIDELINES

Young Ladies -

No skirts or dresses more than one inch above the knee. Performers should not have to worry about adjusting skirts once they get to the piano. A long skirt is comfortable and more professional looking.

Dressy pants are an acceptable alternative. Blue jeans or other denim are unacceptable.

Blouses should not be too revealing - any visible midriff or lower back is unacceptable.

Dress shoes are necessary, with heel height no more than two inches. Students should practice in the shoes they are going to wear for the performance.

Tennis shoes or athletic shoes are unacceptable.

No rings, bracelets, watches, ankle bracelets, dangling earrings or any other jewelry which might distract the audience from the performance.

No hats, flip-flops, high slits, or shorts.

No gum chewing.

Young Men –

Suits or dress slacks, dress shirts, and ties. Blue jeans are unacceptable. Consider a bow tie.

Dress shoes are necessary. No tennis shoes, athletic shoes, or boots. Vans and similar shoes are unacceptable.

No hats, flip-flops, or shorts.

No gum chewing.

*While this might seem rather strict, we've found it a necessity.

#43723 - 10/16/09 12:15 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: alidoremi]
xstitch4me Online   embarrased
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I just ask my students to wear "Sunday dress". I only had one student show up in jeans a couple of years ago because she never listened to anything I said....she was pretty embaressed.

#43725 - 10/16/09 01:39 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: xstitch4me]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Ha Ha Ha! You'd get in trouble asking for Sunday dress where I live. You should see what people where to church here sometimes!

#43726 - 10/16/09 01:56 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: Arlene Steffen]
alidoremi Online   content
Star Member

Loc: California
Ditto here Arlene!

'Sunday dress' at my church is jeans, t-shirt, a Starbuck's in one hand, Bible in the other.

#43728 - 10/16/09 03:13 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: alidoremi]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
From my recital handout:

Recitals are considered a formal occasion, using standard recital etiquette. That means that there are certain social expectations. There are rules of social behavior that must be observed for the event to be successful:

Dress Requirements. Please wear appropriate clothing for a formal recital. Girls wear dresses or dressy pants; Boys wear dress pants with a nice shirt, sweater, or shirt and jacket. Please do not feel obligated to spend money for new clothes; however, proper dress shows respect to the audience, your fellow students, and your own accomplishments. Please give your performance the respect it deserves by wearing your “Sunday best” or dressy clothing. If your piece lends itself to a “costume” you may dress up in character. Inappropriate Attire: T shirts, jeans, clogs or shoes with chunky soles, any kind of athletic footwear, rings (1 small ring is OK, a ring on every finger is not OK), bracelets, or large watches. Pay particular attention to your hands. Well-groomed nails are a must — no gaudy nail polish — no “bangly” bracelets or watches.

#43729 - 10/16/09 07:55 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: Q88keys]
treblemaker Offline

Loc: TX
Great policy, Q88keys! I live in a rather informal community (just outside of Austin) where many people don't know what "church dress" is and don't find many ocassions to have to dress up for. I actually had a parent complain after my recital last Spring because she felt a couple of the students were not dressed appropriately (one was wearing a short casual denim skirt and the other -- a girl -- was wearing slacks). I'm not a stickler for these kinds of things, as I focus mainly on the performance itself rather than what is worn, but you make some very valid points.

#43731 - 10/16/09 02:07 PM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: treblemaker]
xstitch4me Online   embarrased
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
Q88keys - I also like your recital handout.

#43732 - 10/16/09 02:35 PM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: xstitch4me]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks. I really give credit to my friends and colleagues for their wording which inspired me a lot. Thanks, Mary Lou. Check out Casa de la Musica for more outstanding policy wording. It's fabulous.

#44572 - 12/15/09 10:16 AM Re: What to wear to recital [Re: Q88keys]
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
Mine is almost identical to Alidoremi's! I do also ask the girls to have hair pulled away from their faces.
My student are all required to have 2-3 practice recitals before the actual event, wearing the shoes they will wear for performance.
I'll post the practice recital information if anyone is interested. The students set their own date and times, and the audience usually consists of parents, pets, stuffed animals, and friends smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Parents negotiating rates
by FreyaLewis
08/29/14 06:27 AM
MFPA posters
by FreyaLewis
08/29/14 06:22 AM
video floor keyboard
by FreyaLewis