Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#38460 - 07/03/08 02:09 PM Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
I just had my first adult class on Tuesday night. I've wanted to get into RMM, after hearing about it at national convention and having a few friends who are doing this. So I took the plunge, and to get some experience, I opened the first class to parents of my current students only and offered the first 8 week session for free. In the fall, if they continue, I will begin charging for the next 8 weeks. I have 3 adults who were interested right away. I started out the class by saying that we would concentrate on enjoying making music together and there would be no blaming for lack of practice. That seemed to relax everyone. Then we talked for a bit about the health benefits for adult learners. The ladies in the class were a bit scared but relaxed when they saw they were all in the same boat.

Has anyone else tried this - or do you have questions or comments?

Have a wonderful 4th of July with your families!

Marcia
mvpianostudio.com

#38462 - 07/03/08 02:30 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: Q88keys]
pianoc Offline
Star Member

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
I did something similar - at least the group concept with older students. Mine were all high school students and our focus was actually keyboard skills to help with piano proficiency's for college, but we had a lot of fun!!!

We did some improvising using some of the cadence patterns and arpeggios that they had learned. Round the circle conversation type of thing. Divided up into 2 groups with 1 group playing a familiar melody by ear and the other group playing an accompaniment pattern with it. These were all choir students, who had never played chopsticks before and thought it was the BEST!!! Never would have guessed.

I don't konw what the RMM all does, but I would strongly encourage spending time with 5 Finger Patterns and other keyboard skills. They are really fun to do as a group - they stay very focused while working through them.

#38464 - 07/03/08 03:32 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: pianoc]
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Marcia, what book are you using or are you doing your own thing?

#38467 - 07/03/08 05:17 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: Susan]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Susan, I'm using the Adult Piano Adventures (all in one). I love that it starts out with tunes they know - Amazing Grace and I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing - they said they felt that when playing the last one they should have a bottle of Coke in their hand!

#38475 - 07/03/08 10:47 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: Q88keys]
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
I've been very successful with the adult book, but I've never used it with a group. Let us know how it works out. I've never had an adult who didn't like it, although some are afraid to try the lead sheet playing.
Pianoc, your class sounds like fun.
Adults know the Coke song. I've found that children have never heard of it. Where did all the time go?

#39289 - 09/10/08 02:10 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: Susan]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Has anyone ordered the new RMM DVD's that are available to purchase? If so, how do you like them?

If you haven't heard about it, here's the info:

Six Recreational Music Making sessions from the 2008 MTNA National Conference in Denver were video recorded by a professional film company and produced as a four-DVD set. A trailer about the DVDs is posted on the National Piano Foundation and MTNA websites. The standard price for the set is $79.00, but orders placed before December 31, 2008, will receive the DVD set at the special introductory price of $49.00. Shipping and handling is $8.00.

RMM offers the promise of millions of potential adult students who regret quitting music lessons years ago or those who never had an opportunity to fulfill their dream of playing the piano. Topics include Getting Started, Partnering with Retailers, Three Different Paths to RMM Teaching, How Adults Learn, Teaching Ideas for Advancing Levels, Giving the Gift of Chords, Ensembles, How to Integrate the Traditional Piano Student into RMM Classes, RMM Resources, and presentations by four guest presenters.

For more information, visit the NPF website, www.pianonet.com.

#39294 - 09/10/08 09:26 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: Jennifer]
pianoc Offline
Star Member

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
I was just looking at that the other day and wondering if it was worth getting. I was actually considering for our local association's library.

I would also be interested in what someone says after either seeing the DVD's or if they were at the conference itself.

#39468 - 09/28/08 06:25 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: pianoc]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

I wasn't going to order the DVDs, but now I think I will, since I'm launching a RMM class for adults at the local music store on October 14. They sell pianos and are willing to let me use the keyboard room (5 keyboards) free if I will use them to refer to them the class members who want to purchase a piano. I want to use the Faber Adult book, as it has worked so well for me with the 2 adults I teach in a class on Tuesday nights at my home studio, but I hear it may be temporarily out of print. Anybody know what's up?

#39469 - 09/28/08 10:35 PM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: Q88keys]
eaHarris Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hicksville, OH
My local music store says that the Faber's contract with FJH is about up and they haven't decided whether to renew yet. So a few things are going out of print "temporarily."

#39473 - 09/30/08 09:12 AM Re: Recreational Music Making with Adult Classes [Re: pianoc]
greenpianolady Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Westbrook ME
I went to an RMM training weekend in PA summer 2007 which was the same speakers, topics as this year's RMM workshops at MTNA conference. (Couldn't get to MTNA, though.) VERY helpful. Loads of ideas, demonstration of differing approaches, etc.
I highly recommend getting them if you're at all inclined to work with adult groups. I will get them though I've probably heard a good bit of it already. I couldn't digest it all at the weekend conference. The presenters (Brenda Dillon, Autumn Keller, Debra Perez have quite different personalities, which makes the DVDs even more valuable. I found it was easier to find my way than if only one approach had been presented. As a result, I started a recreational piano program with my local piano retailer, which has been very rewarding.
Yes, buy the DVDs!
Alice

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Easy Pachelbel Canon
by Jennifer
12/18/14 02:33 PM
Technique for 5-finger scales
by Tovka
12/18/14 10:25 AM