Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#35623 - 09/26/07 03:56 PM Kindermusik? Musikgarten?
graypianoteacher Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I've been looking at info on Kindermusik and Musikgarten. I would really like to be able to add this to my studio. From what I can tell, Kindermusik is an at-home process. Musikgarten holds workshops that you travel to to become certified. I'd like other's opinions that teach Kindermusik and/or Musikgarten in their studios. I don't have any specific questions about either of them, I'm just wanting a comparison of the 2 to see which would suit me and my studio best.

#35624 - 09/26/07 04:01 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: graypianoteacher]
graypianoteacher Offline
Resident Member

Well, I found some info on an older Kindermusik post, but please feel free to post more comments and opinions!!!!

#35628 - 09/26/07 10:25 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: graypianoteacher]
Elbe Offline
Resident Member

Loc: The Great Northwest
If you're looking to add a music and movement group class to your studio I suppose either would do although personally I heard better things about Musikgarten. I went through the training for Harmony Road last June and it involves lots of music and movement but also is a pre-piano course so you're several steps ahead of the game if learning to play is the goal. I haven't been able to start my group lessons yet as I need a bigger space, but I know there are several others on this board who teach it with good success.

#35651 - 09/28/07 01:45 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: Elbe]
graypianoteacher Offline
Resident Member

I got my info packet/DVD in the mail yesterday. I sat down to watch it, and I have to say that I was not too impressed with what I saw. I couldn't really put my finger on what turned me off about it- in a way it seemed more like a sales pitch than anything else. Several years ago, I let someone talk me into selling Mary Kay cosmetics . (That was not for me at all) It was a horrible experience. I wasted a lot of money (about $600), the woman that got me into it turned into the biggest pain in the rear (she kept pressuring me to sink MORE money into it, complained when I wore perfume/make up that wasn't Mary Kay ) Something about the Kindermusik DVD reminded me of that experience. Maybe it's the Mary Kay experience that's got me wary of this...I don't know.

#35654 - 09/28/07 03:44 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: graypianoteacher]
ThreeDee Melodie Offline

Loc: Planet Earth
Gray, I've heard less-than-stellar things about Kindermusik. I did some research on it about a little more than 2 years ago. I agree it's not that hot compared to Musikgarten. Musikgarten seems to be more pedagogically sound. One of my colleagues in my local MTAC branch teaches Musikgarten and I got some mails from her about the program. I thought it was a good program. My cousin enrolled her 1-year-old in a Kindermusik program and she thought it stank. There was nothing else going on except singing along to a guitar accompaniment. So before too long, my cousin yanked her daughter out of the program.

LOL, Kindermusik smells, sounds, and looks like MLM?!?! \:o (Well, the latest euphemism for the MLM-type of businesses like Mary Kay is network marketing!) Yep, I've been there, done that, gotten the T-shirt too, so to speak. Some of my friends (even a teaching colleague and my then-students!) got me into that stuff, though my teaching colleague had pure, good intentions in inviting me to join. There were about three companies they were trying to get me into. Well, I finally got suckered into joining it early this year because of the "potential" in earning more $$$ doing part-time work. (It's particularly enticing for people with music careers like us because it would enable us to do more music, get more funding for our musical endeavors, and phase out our day job.) Anyway, I joined a telecommunications company endorsed by a famous person (though it's less pushy than other MLMs. Thank goodness). It has great service and I'm happy with it as a customer of the company, but I'm thinking about quitting as a rep for the company because I'm not comfortable with the whole recruiting thing. It seems to be somewhat more about recruiting other people to join the business instead of strictly marketing the products to customers.

Anyhow, enough of that...it's funny how Kindermusik reeks of MLM!

#35666 - 09/29/07 11:01 AM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: ThreeDee Melodie]
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
One thing that I noticed that really bothered me (aside from the fact that you don't have to be a MUSICIAN to teach their music program), is that their home materials are very expensive. They are very nice but YOU the teacher pay full-price, which is already pricey, and then if you want to add a little more (like your shipping costs), it makes it almost too expensive for the parents. So, basically KM is making money off of YOU first. They also want you to stock your classroom with a variety of rhythm instruments and supplies that you pay full retail price through them, when you can get many of them through Rhythm Band for a lot less. They also require you to pay $14.95 a month to be listed on their website, whether you want to or not. Like, why can't they list you for FREE on the KM website? Does it really cost them that much? Just another way for them to make money off of YOU the teacher (which they appear to have down to a science).

#35984 - 10/24/07 07:30 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: alidoremi]
Lydian Mode Offline

While I don't have anything against Kindermusik per se, I was a teachers aid for a while for a Kindermusik teacher and I just knew it wasn't for me... I kept thinking there could be a better program out there. With Kindermusik you are also "locked in" to teaching only Kindermusik. They tell you every thing to say, every movement, every eye blink. ;). This really irritated me because I'm more interested in taking ideas from lots of different places and combining them into my own thing. Anyhow, I think Kindermusik is a pretty good, but restrictive program. It is pricey and glossy to be sure! I haven't heard much about Musikgarten or the others, they are not offered in my area and the only Kindermusik teacher only teaches up to age 5. In a nutshell I think Kindermusik is pretty good for the student, but bad for the teacher.
I think the best type of music and movement program would let the teacher be more creative and flexible with the lessons. I've been to an Orff workshop and that seemed more of the way to go. Attending lots of workshops and discovering what you want to teach to young children about music through the process.

#36009 - 10/26/07 08:49 AM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: Lydian Mode]
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
If I were thinking about using a method that forced me to buy the materials from them at full price and also required me to pay a fee to be on their web site, I would run away as fast as possible. I would quickly get the feeling that the company is in business to make money off teachers.
Why not wait a little longer for the Faber's new early childhood course to be released? I think it would be worth the wait.

#36011 - 10/26/07 02:54 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: Susan]
Lydian Mode Offline

Susan, is this new course in addition to the MFPA course?

#36012 - 10/26/07 03:07 PM Re: Kindermusik? Musikgarten? [Re: Lydian Mode]
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
I'm not Susan, but yes, it's a piano-oriented (vs. straight early music and movement) developmentally appropriate course written specifically for 4 year olds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jon, Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Moving through the Waiting List
by Josephine
07/22/14 06:42 PM
Young Teacher Issues
by SharonAdelle
07/19/14 10:32 PM
Disney Wedding
by SharonAdelle
07/19/14 10:22 PM
Which piano is better for a beginner?
by alidoremi
07/17/14 11:08 AM
Do you all have YouTube Channels???
by FreyaLewis
07/17/14 03:22 AM
audio teaching aids
by Bridget
07/15/14 06:50 AM
Parents negotiating rates
by unreal
07/14/14 04:19 PM
Skype/FaceTime lessons
by dlinder
07/14/14 11:55 AM
middle school/high school scheduling conflicts
by Lindy
07/13/14 12:48 PM
30% of students taking the ENTIRE summer off!
by Lindy
07/12/14 12:30 AM
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Bridget
Joyful
alidoremi
FreyaLewis
Lindy
Jennifer
JazzKeys88
Niftynote
SharonAdelle