Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32400 - 04/04/05 05:18 PM Asperger's Disorder
Bunny Wilson Offline

Loc: Valparaiso, FL
Hello! I'm new to the forum and am thrilled to know it exists. I have a new student starting this week - a 10 yr old boy with Asperger's Disorder. I've done online research and understand "what" it is; I need advice on "how" a child with the disorder learns. Spatial discernment seems to be one of the problems I might encounter along with odd social behavior. I've worked with special ed kids before but none with this particular problem. Any teaching tips/techniques on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

#32401 - 04/05/05 04:59 AM Re: Asperger's Disorder
xstitch4me Online   embarrased
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
Welcome to the site Bunny! I'm sorry I can't help you on this but you'll love the site and all of the wonderful people who post! Good luck.

#32402 - 04/05/05 05:29 AM Re: Asperger's Disorder
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
You may want to into the archives as this topic has been discussed fairly recently. Here's the direct link:

http://pianoclub.infopop.cc/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=58;t=000006

Welcome to the group, by the way! \:D

#32403 - 04/05/05 02:15 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Bunny- hello!
For those of us who are'nt familiar with this, can you give us an education in a nutshell? I know I've heard of Asbergers but I don't remember specifically what it is. Thanks.

#32404 - 04/05/05 05:07 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Asperger's is basically High Functioning Autism.

#32405 - 04/05/05 06:06 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
PFVTeach Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Thanks- that's what I thought but wasn't totally sure. \:o )

#32406 - 04/05/05 07:07 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
I can offer perhaps a little bit of info on the subject. My friend's son James has Asperger's. As I understand, they are all different (age may make a big difference too, James is 8), but maybe some of this will help. I don't think I will be very organized as I am thinking and typing at the same time, but here goes:

James' sensory perception is very extreme, so extra noise, extra touch, anything can cause his mind to "disengage". In light of that, I would probably not try to use CD's with him until he was very comfortable with me and we were well into lessons. I would try to keep my mannerisms (sp) very simple, not throwing around the number of books I usually do--charts on my lap, arm motions, etc. Perhaps One book at a time, using a very calm voice and slow movements. The boy I know is very sensitive to touch/space also, so I would be very aware of physical space issues and sit where he feels in control of the "space" around him--not boxed in with a teacher leaning over him. The boy I know is very intelligent, but he deals with this "sensory" problem. When overstimulated, he has a hard time winding down and focussing--sometimes even has a breakdown where he goes into a corner. So, I wouldn't do a typical ADHD regimen of switching activities every few minutes from piano to floor games, etc. For him, this could be "too many changes" which he is definitely not fond of. I WOULD use a very strict schedule. For example, always start with a game, then flashcards, then do a warm-up, then do Lesson Book, .... The boy I know, when given a challenge to win something or get a reward will be very diligent so I might incorporate short goals during the lesson "let's see if you can sit totally quiet for 2 minutes while I talk" "let's see if you can play the same melody in left hand and right hand" "let's see if you can do them in opposite directions (contrary motion excercises). These kinds of "I bet you can"s can really **** him in. As I mentioned earlier, the intelligence isn't a factor (at least for James), so I wouldn't worry about making something "easier," I would just try to limit the distractions.

Normally PA is my first choice, but with James, I might go a different route. I would pick a lesson book that doesn't have too much writing all over it (if possible) that is still pedagogically sound (Hal leonard (which I use) and Noona Comprehensive come to mind as looking very simple yet interesting to the student (I haven't used Noona yet with a student.) Any fun stickers/highlighters might be incentive to keep attention (these don't seem to distract as they aren't words, noise, etc.). Last, I probably woudn't send him home with work from 4 different books to do. As it may be overwhelming. With James--who can't focus to want to write much--I might actually just skip the theory book and try to do that orally. Then do technique by rote, and only have a Lesson & Performance/Recital book.

Again, this is just my opinion based on observations of James coupled with the mom's comments on his behavior at home and at school. I'll see if I can have his mom read this and see if she might add anything to (or delete :-) ) my suggestions. I read some of the threads on this over at Yahoo, and it also sounds like each child is very distinct. It may take a while to find your way. Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!

#32407 - 04/06/05 05:08 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
Bunny Wilson Offline

Loc: Valparaiso, FL
Thanks for the warm welcome to the group. My session with the 10 yr old boy with Asperger's went extremely well. When his mother called to talk with me about lessons she described her son as have awkward "quirky" habits that stunted him socially (I saw none of them today)and thus led to her removing him from public school. Between online research, info from my psych classes, and advice from other teachers who had experience with teaching kids with the syndrome I was almost too careful. What I finally came away with was some kids make eye contact - some don't. Some kids will allow you to touch them - other's won't. Some are quite intelligent and perfectionists (heard this more than any other description)while others can't seem to concentrate and grasp basic concepts without a very concrete explanation. What it boiled down to today was I had to be a bit more cautious of reading his emotional state - I could see immediately when he understood what I told him and when he was confused. Once he saw that I was going to be a "friendly face" all fear and reticence left. We ended the lesson with his saying, "What? It's already over?? I want more time!" I laughed, gave him a pat on the back and told him I'd see him next week. He ran out to tell him mom how much fun it was. Christine was right - each child (with or without problems) is very distinct. We just can't box them in, can we?

#32408 - 04/06/05 07:35 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
Christine/Pelirroja Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA, USA
Glad all went well with you! I love when I find out the anticipation of something is much more "scary" than the real thing. Hope it continues well with him.

Just a side question, Why did my word get "asteriks" on it? I promise I didn't use anything offensive! I think I said "reel" or "pull" him in? Can't think of a misspelling that would have needed a "blooper" fix :-)

#32409 - 04/06/05 08:36 PM Re: Asperger's Disorder
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Sure you didn't say ****? \:\)

Apparently you did! I have to edit this so that you know you wrote s u c k -- shame that such things trigger the censor. :rolleyes:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  aiinpst, Connie Wible, Jon, mka 
Search

Recent Posts
Parents negotiating rates
by FreyaLewis
08/29/14 06:27 AM
MFPA posters
by FreyaLewis
08/29/14 06:22 AM
video floor keyboard
by FreyaLewis