Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27698 - 03/27/03 12:22 PM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
Mary Gae George has some great exercises to do away from the piano. They are specifically for developing the hand position, & they're nice to do before each practice session. Any willing student, of any age, can do them.

Yes, Bach is great... for more advanced students that like Bach. If the student doesn't like Bach, then it won't help to assign Bach 'cuz he won't practice.

#27699 - 03/27/03 09:17 PM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Piano lady Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeņa:

Yes, Bach is great... for more advanced students that like Bach. If the student doesn't like Bach, then it won't help to assign Bach 'cuz he won't practice.

Forgot. Wrong era. I didn't have a choice. "We do Bach to teach you counterpoint and coordination." Then I found when I got out of college that I liked him.

#27700 - 03/28/03 06:01 AM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano lady:
Forgot. Wrong era. I didn't have a choice. "We do Bach to teach you counterpoint and coordination." Then I found when I got out of college that I liked him.

I sometimes forget I'm teaching in a different era, too, Piano Lady. These days, practicing seems to be a foreign concept to most students. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep teaching after I leave Lubbock. I've just about had my fill of working with students who won't complete their assignments. Students from my generation didn't pick & choose what they were going to do or not do. I don't know how things evolved to the present state where students call the shots, but it certainly makes teaching difficult. How can one learn if one is not willing to do the assignments? If the only time a piano student thinks about piano is once a week at lesson time, progress is painfully slow! :rolleyes: Getting students to equate practice with progress is, in a word, difficult. \:\(

Back to Bach: I agree that there's nothing better to get one's fingers in shape than Bach.

#27701 - 03/28/03 01:40 PM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Piano lady Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
I sometimes forget I'm teaching in a different era, too, Piano Lady. These days, practicing seems to be a foreign concept to most students. I'm not even sure I'm going to keep teaching after I leave Lubbock. I've just about had my fill of working with students who won't complete their assignments....

Back to Bach: I agree that there's nothing better to get one's fingers in shape than Bach.

We sound like old fuddy duddies. \:D I can understand the teaching frustration. We've had so few students and the ones we've had didn't want to do any of the work. Me? I'm starting to do chamber music. Now it's finding string players who can keep up with me.

There are too many teachers here for those who are willing. At the winter recital, so many students gave below expectation performances. I'll forgive the memory slips, but I can't forgive the sloppy playing. There were two teacher's students that were prepared. I can always pick out their students and have told them that.

Anyway, I've got to go back and work on my piano part.

#27702 - 04/03/03 10:06 AM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
JK Wong Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
I know your struggle as most of us have students that play with what I call it "collapsing fingers". I often tell my students that they would have to play with the tip of their fingers. From the stand point of dynamic, it is more efficient to use the tip of the finger to play. Ask students if they can imagine energy is many little white dots. If they play with the tip of their finger tip all the little dots will be concentrated in the tip of their finger - hence they will have more power. If they play with flat finger, all the little dots will be completely spread out and they won't get all the power that they need. Most of my students seemed to understand that.

This other technique it seemed to work very well, especially with boys. I told all my boys that they should not be seeing their nails from where are their sitting. When they start getting flat fingers (that's when you can see your nail from where you are playing), I simply say "you got pretty nail!" You don't know how much that bothered them (it is a macho thing I guess. I might have to remind them several lessons and after that most of the problems are solved.

Hope that help!

#27703 - 04/17/03 09:02 AM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
CR Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Idaho
just wanted to comment on how these suggestions are great, and the student GeeTee has sounds almost exactly like one of my own. I'm definitely going to work these ideas into my teaching with that student and the others.

#27704 - 04/17/03 12:13 PM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Good luck. \:\) Some students are as hard as nails to train!

#27705 - 04/17/03 12:24 PM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
CR Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Idaho
 Quote:
Good luck. \:\) Some students are as hard as nails to train!

So I've learned... :rolleyes: But once the light clicks on, the rewards are awesome! \:\)

#27706 - 04/17/03 01:19 PM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

The hard part is waiting for a light (any light) to click on. :rolleyes: Some students' brains just don't seem to be wired right... I wonder if some brains are even wired, if you know what I mean. You'll have to excuse me, but I just terminated the lessons of a non-intuitive adult student who (after almost a year of lessons) just couldn't retain any information. Sad. \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by CR:
So I've learned... :rolleyes: But once the light clicks on, the rewards are awesome! \:\)

[ 04-17-2003: Message edited by: Jalapeņa ]

#27707 - 04/18/03 05:38 AM Re: Rebuilding a proper hand position
Bontempo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Belgium/Portugal
I guess the thing is to keep waiting for that light, without getting too anxious. Whenever I notice "the click" happening to a non-developing student I wonder if I was wrong in all the lessons I struggled through to keep my patience instead of accepting the non-development as a part of a phase and working for that "click". Before it happens, you'd never say it would. After it happens, you make the mistake of getting too anxious for other "clicks" in other students....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Tips to incorporate chamber music and concertos?
by Ivy Sunset
09/18/14 11:38 AM
Piano Maestro app
by Jennifer
09/17/14 03:07 PM
Has anyone used this site before?
by Niftynote
09/16/14 12:14 PM
Student Retainment
by shannonspiano
09/12/14 09:35 PM
Books for Sale