Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#27624 - 09/26/03 12:32 AM Re: Practicing Scales
Piano lady Offline
Resident Member

I think I've played one or two pieces in my life that required parallel hands together scale passages. Most of the time you're playing one hand scale passages.

#27625 - 09/26/03 07:15 AM Re: Practicing Scales
Jalapeņa Offline
Star Member

Loc: New Mexico
The beauty of learning to play scales HT is that if you can play them HT, you can also play them HS. \:D

Regarding fingering, I see nothing wrong with teaching the traditional scale fingerings first. When learning literature that contains alternate scale fingerings, a talented student will know why those fingerings are suggested, change (perhaps with the help of his/her piano teacher) the fingerings that don't work, adapt & adjust. There are always students who think that because they learn a certain thing a certain way, then it's always that certain way & that it can't be any other way. That's where the problem lies. Like students who get it into their heads that Middle C must always be played with the thumb, :rolleyes: I imagine that there are also students who think that scales must always be played with a certain fingering. What does a teacher do in a case like that? Teach the scales HT using traditional fingerings, but at the same time assign literature pieces that contain scale passages that may or may not contain traditional fingering. Hopefully, if a student learns scales both in exercise form & through the literature that s/he is studying, s/he will be able to adapt & adjust without major difficulties. A little more practice maybe, but no major anxiety. It's amazing what can be accomplished with sufficient practice. \:D

Lastly, I think that the teacher needs to be careful about the music s/he selects. If the teacher doesn't like the fingerings that are suggested in a certain edition, then the teacher should find another edition with fingerings that s/he likes or use an urtext edition that doesn't have fingerings. If that's not possible, the teacher can always use good old Liquid Paper (White Out) & a trusty pen or pencil to edit the fingerings. ;\)

#27626 - 09/26/03 02:08 PM Re: Practicing Scales
arsnova02 Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeņa:
I somehow doubt that most of today's students, when first learning scales, are faced with music that contains contorted fingerings that don't work. :rolleyes: God help 'em if they're expected to utilize fingerings that don't work! Let's use a little discretion here, please. :rolleyes:

Oh, no, no, no! When I said "you guys", I meant you, the pianists, playing Beethoven/Mozart/Haydn sonatas, not you, the teachers, teaching 10-year-olds Clementi sonatinas. I'd nevah want a young student to just go home and make up their own fingerings. Yikes.... I don't even want to think about the contortions that could lead to.

#27627 - 09/26/03 03:54 PM Re: Practicing Scales
Piano lady Offline
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally posted by arsnova02:
Oh, no, no, no! When I said "you guys", I meant you, the pianists, playing Beethoven/Mozart/Haydn sonatas, not you, the teachers, teaching 10-year-olds Clementi sonatinas. I'd nevah want a young student to just go home and make up their own fingerings. Yikes.... I don't even want to think about the contortions that could lead to.

I knew that. I'm not teaching 10 year olds. I make up my own fingering.

And yes, I know that if you can play them HT you can play them HS. Just trying to have a little fun. \:D

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
RCM Levels
by sandyb
Today at 10:41 AM
Parents negotiating rates
by FreyaLewis
08/29/14 06:27 AM
MFPA posters
by FreyaLewis