Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#16671 - 09/01/02 05:34 PM Re: Music Writing tools
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
Thanks jonathan -- sounds promising! I will check them links out....

#16672 - 09/06/02 02:17 PM Re: Music Writing tools
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Jonathan -- maybe you can help me out on this one?

I downloaded the demo version of Sibelius, and for the most part I'm happy with the UI ( \:\) ) since it's pretty intuitive.

BUT I've been having the darnedest time figuring out how the heck to separate note stems that in the program just automatically stick together??? (Prime example being, I have a set of 4 16th notes, followed by a set of 2 8th notes -- and the program wants to join the sets together on one stem!!

I'm so stinkin' at the program that I most likely won't be buying it any time soon unless I can learn a little faster how to use it!!! And to think, I was an internet programmer for 5 years and I still haven't a clue about why this program does this and how to fix it!

Ok, enough ranting for now.

#16673 - 09/06/02 04:06 PM Re: Music Writing tools
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

While we're on the subject of pain-in-the-you-know-what notation software programs... Could anyone tell me how to delete measures in Print Music? I know how to add measures, but haven't been able to figure out how to delete measures. Can it be done?

The other day I was trying to input 2 sets of triplets in one measure, & the program kept trying to link them together. I had to keep playing around with it, adding & deleting notes, until I got it to do what I wanted it to do. It wasn't easy, & if I had to do it again, I'm not sure I'd remember what I did to get it to work. \:o Pure frustration, it is! Pure frustration! I've given some thought to upgrading to Finale, but if Finale's just like Print Music in the way you input, I'm not sure I want it. I'd like something a little more "user friendly" for the money. For what I paid for Print Music, I'm satisfied. But if I decide to spend the money for a top-of-the-line notation software program, I want something mucho mejor.

I imagine I'll save up for a height-adjustable duet-sized piano bench, then for a set of Taubman videos, before splurging for better notation software. Of course, it all depends on the situation I'm in at the end of Summer 2003. Everything's up in the air for me right now.

[ 09-06-2002: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]

#16674 - 09/06/02 05:56 PM Re: Music Writing tools
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Ain't it a pain when you can't do something (or forget?!?!).

Jala, click the MEASURE TOOL first!

Then click the measure you want to delete (and hi-light it), then click MEASURE and then DELETE.

#16675 - 09/08/02 08:17 PM Re: Music Writing tools
Gretchen Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Hello! I have a question regarding Yamaha Clavinova and music writing software. I haven't been able to get much help at my local music store or computer stores. It's sounds like most of the people posting here now their technology pretty well and maybe someone can help me?
I would like to know what would be the best software to notate music played on my Clavinova. ALSO, can I record this music on the disc in my piano and then put the disc in my PC for notation? AND, I understand that there is a way to connect my Clavinova to computer with a "cross cable?" in order to send the midi information to notation software in the computer. I have a Hewlett Packard PC. My Clavinova manual describes this cable as a standard 8-pin MIDI DIN->9 pin D-SUB cross cable. I've searched around for this cable and haven't been able to find it in a store or on the net. Is there anyone who may understand this situation and have some advice? THANK YOU!
Gretchen

#16676 - 09/09/02 03:19 AM Re: Music Writing tools
pskim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gretchen:
Hello! I have a question regarding Yamaha Clavinova and music writing software. I haven't been able to get much help at my local music store or computer stores. It's sounds like most of the people posting here now their technology pretty well and maybe someone can help me?
I would like to know what would be the best software to notate music played on my Clavinova.

It will depend on what you demand when you notate your music. If you want professional software that will do just about anything, there are 2 top notation softwares already mentioned, Finale and Sibelius.

Quote:
ALSO, can I record this music on the disc in my piano and then put the disc in my PC for notation?

Both Sibelius and Finale 2003 can do this. It won't be perfect and you'll have to edit the entered notation and I think it will take a lot more time to edit than to notate it directly from your keyboard.

Quote:
AND, I understand that there is a way to connect my Clavinova to computer with a "cross cable?" in order to send the midi information to notation software in the computer. I have a Hewlett Packard PC. My Clavinova manual describes this cable as a standard 8-pin MIDI DIN->9 pin D-SUB cross cable. I've searched around for this cable and haven't been able to find it in a store or on the net. Is there anyone who may understand this situation and have some advice? THANK YOU!
Gretchen

Just go to any music stores that sells midi keyboards and electronic instruments. All you need are two midi cables that you can connect to the game/joy stick port of your soundcard. I recommend SoundBlaster soundcards because it is good. You do not need an expensive one. When I bought my soundcard, the midi cable connector (I'm not too sure with the name) that you connect to your joystick port and the other two ends are for your midi cables (in/out) for your clavinova came with it.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: pskim ]

#16677 - 09/09/02 09:06 AM Re: Music Writing tools
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John:
Ain't it a pain when you can't do something (or forget?!?!).

Jala, click the MEASURE TOOL first!

Then click the measure you want to delete (and hi-light it), then click MEASURE and then DELETE.

Thanks, John. I assume you mean to push the Delete button on the computer keyboard, right? When I was trying to do this before, I did click on the Measure Tool, & there was a list of options I could select. I saw "Add," but not "Delete", so I wasn't even sure if it could be done. It would have killed them to put a "Delete" option alongside "Add" I suppose! :rolleyes:

#16678 - 09/10/02 08:46 AM Re: Music Writing tools
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Ok, anyone want to take a shot at my question about Sibelius? I know there are some experienced users out there, so let's hear from ya!

#16679 - 09/10/02 09:44 AM Re: Music Writing tools
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Highlight the note you want unbeamed.

In the edit note window, go to the third tab (looks like a pair of stems beamed together as 16ths)

The / key (looks like a single 16th note on the keypad on the screen) will unbeam a note. The == will stick beams together, and a few other beaming options appear below.

Hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally posted by songbird:
Ok, anyone want to take a shot at my question about Sibelius? I know there are some experienced users out there, so let's hear from ya!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#16680 - 09/10/02 02:29 PM Re: Music Writing tools
songbird Offline
Resident Member

Wow, Jason, thanks sooooooooooooooo super duper much! I took your teaching and applied it right away, in a matter of seconds... thanks for your help!

By the way, how was I supposed to figure that one out on my own? Oh well....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Tips to incorporate chamber music and concertos?
by Ivy Sunset
09/18/14 11:38 AM
Piano Maestro app
by Jennifer
09/17/14 03:07 PM
Has anyone used this site before?
by Niftynote
09/16/14 12:14 PM
Student Retainment
by shannonspiano
09/12/14 09:35 PM
Books for Sale