Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#15147 - 08/16/06 12:16 PM Philip Johnston's new stuff
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Just in case you don't get to Practice Spot or receive his emails....this guy is relentless!

PRACTICEOPEDIA
http://www.practiceopedia.com/

RECITAL WORKS
http://www.recitalworks.com/

#15148 - 08/16/06 01:27 PM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
He also has written a piece for Alfred's newest sheet music collection. It's called Dreaming on Ice and is intermediate level. Has he written music before? I don't know.

#15149 - 08/16/06 03:35 PM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

Wow, I haven't received e-mails from PracticeSpot in a while...and now Philip has come up with SOMETHING ELSE? WOW!! \:D He is TRULY relentless! I actually had the honor of speaking to him over the phone three years ago when he called me about my book order. Boy, he was a RELENTLESS talker--he must have spoken at about the speed of 600 mile/hour or faster than the speed of light that would totally put an auctioneer to SHAME! :p (Yep, with a pretty thick Aussie accent to boot!) I was about to faint and I almost couldn't understand him...LOL.

I didn't know he wrote for Alfred! All I know that he's done performance recordings--that's all.

#15150 - 08/16/06 03:54 PM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Mrs. Q Offline

Loc: Ohio
Geesh! I've never heard of this guy, but from John's link he's seems obnoxious! I believe you Manon about the phone call! Whoa!

I did just go to a WYNN-ANNE ROSSI workshop today and she was GREAT!! So refreshing, upbeat, and engaging! I was totally expecting the typical "Here's how to use our materials--read-- we geniuses here at the publishing house think you're all ninnies." garbage that are a part of SO many workshops. But Wynn-Anne was super. She presented alot of brand-new materials for elementary to advanced students and presented even the technique materials with such musicality. She gets 5 stars from me! She's touring all over the country this year--check the FJH site and see if she's coming to a music store near you!

#15151 - 08/16/06 04:34 PM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

Thanks for the news, Mrs. Q! \:D I use Wynn-Anne Rossi's books for scales, arpeggii, chords, etc. in duet settings. My students love them, too. They take away the sting of practicing technique! (I still even find scales very painful...LOL.)So yeah, I might look into her workshop--dang, so many workshops, so little time (and $$$, too!) :p

#15152 - 08/16/06 06:44 PM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I checked out his website too and laughed at the "practice book" thing. What student is going to read a 600+ page book all about how to practice? I wouldn't even read that. I'm sure he has some nice ideas but come on.....

#15153 - 08/17/06 02:45 AM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
His book Practice Revolution is great! The ideas in the book has helped my older students a lot.
We've talked a lot of Practice Revolution on this board in the past, and I haven't heard anyone who didn't like it.
The idea behind the book is not how MUCH time you practice, but how efficiently you practice. Great stuff.

#15154 - 08/17/06 05:04 AM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
My younger kids enjoyed his "Not Until You've Done Your Practice!". I would assign specific pages for each monthly performance class, and give out little treats for correct answers. Naturally, every student's performance would bring to mind (at least!) one of his suggestions from the book.

#15155 - 08/17/06 05:25 AM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Jennifer Offline
Star Member

Loc: AZ
I also like the Practice Revolution and use the music games that he has in there with my students. I give them a practice kit when they begin lessons and a sheet with the explanations of the games in their binder. And then of course some little incentives to actually use them in their practicing.

Not Until You've done your Practice is a good book too. He has a great sense of humor!

I also have his book Promoting your teaching studio which is also another good one.

I don't have his new one Practiceopedia and while it may be extreme, I'm sure there are a lot of great ideas in there. I would definitely consider purchasing it.

#15156 - 08/17/06 09:59 AM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Mrs. Q Offline

Loc: Ohio
BTW, the Rossi workshop was FREE! I'm not sure if the music store covered costs or if she was on a promo tour for FJH.

#15157 - 08/17/06 10:39 PM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

You must admit that this Philip Johnston bloke, er, guy is great! \:D Sure, the practice tips are massive, but actually, there are common underlying themes. I've used some of them and I can say that they're effective! (I happen to also own copies of The Practice Revolution and Not Until You've Done Your Practice!) His practice tips and ideas surely have changed the way both teachers and students view practicing.

I also have the book Promoting Your Teaching Studio. I've applied some of his ideas and suggestions there, and I can say that people view my teaching in a more professional light. (Yeah, especially his tip on the answering machine message. I've done just that and prospective students actually think that I'm teaching in a school or a business building, NOT in a house! I've also gotten compliments from friends and non-teaching colleagues on how professional the message sounds, although, like most of us here, I have a home-based studio.)

BTW, the Rossi workshop was FREE? Wow, then I must run and NOT walk to check it out. \:D (It's nice to have free stuff, especially after having coughed up about a grand on the last MTAC Convention! )

#15158 - 08/18/06 01:41 AM Re: Philip Johnston's new stuff
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:

... people view my teaching in a more professional light. Yeah, especially his tip on the answering machine message. [/QB]
I'm curious, what does your answering machine message say?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
"Boring Lesson Book"
by Josephine
Yesterday at 08:35 PM
Reference Book on Classical Composers/History
by Josephine
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Family Traveling for 3 Months
by Josephine