Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#15130 - 08/20/01 08:42 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Anyone know about the books listed at this site? Here's a link to go look:
http://www.manducamusic.com/pedagogy.html

I'm esp. interested if anyone has seen their preschool method. Lisa?

They also have materials for improvisation....(sounds interesting...worth looking at???)

OK -- I'm editing post to add a plea....

PLEASE GIVE ME A QUICK REVIEW BEFORE I GO AND SPEND MORE $$$$$ THAN I SHOULD!!!!!

Seriously -- the duets look neat...many standard classical pieces arranged as duets (good exposure to less-advanced students). There's some 6-hand pieces, 2 piano, multiple keyboards, I am REALLY intrigued!

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: John ]

#15131 - 08/21/01 03:27 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
For Mary Gae George's Artistry At The Piano site (info for teachers, parents, & students)
http://www.greywolf-artistry.com/forum.html

#15132 - 08/21/01 04:40 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Jalapeño Offline
Star Member

I ordered the Artistry books quite a while ago, from Burt's. I think I got the last cassette tapes that were available for the performance books.

#15133 - 08/21/01 04:42 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

John,

I found the Manduca site when I was looking for duet arrangements of Chopin a few months back. However, I haven't ordered anything yet \:o (been spending too much time at eBay and here) \:o and I'm trying to decide if I want to order the Bach duets (arranged by Poe) as well as the Chopin and Fur Elise. I'm also considering Come Sit By My Side - Folksongs for Piano Duet arrranged by John Robert Poe and Seven Dance Rhythms by C. Michael Ehrhardt -- both of these are late elementary and present improvisation opportunities. For piano solo, I'm interested in Sonatinas for the Learners Level edited by Tinka Knopf de Esteban and Portraits in Style by Marilyn Briant and Andrew Zatman (intermediate) Volume 1: Foreign Impressions; Volume 2: Imagination Bouquet; Volume 3: Piano Postcards; Volume 4: Treasured Traditions, New Music in Familiar Forms. It would be nice to know how well the music is printed before ordering.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

#15134 - 08/21/01 05:46 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Jalapeño Offline
Star Member

I once ordered a big book full of classical pieces (in original form) that I had to return to the company because the ink rubbed off the pages onto my hands! It wasn't one of the well-known publishing companies, so that was a relief. I now stick to publishers I know something about.

#15135 - 08/21/01 07:00 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
The music from Manduca is perfectly fine. I have some of Tinka's books and charts, etc. A local teacher here also has some of his work published by the company. \:\)

#15136 - 08/21/01 07:52 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Thanks, Vivace. \:\) I just noticed in Patti's new catalog that Manduca is listed with all of the other publishers, but I didn't see any of the items I was interested in. No problemo. I'll just have Patti order the stuff for me and won't have to make an additional call or pay extra shipping. We know how I hate paying shipping. :p :p

#15137 - 08/22/01 07:02 AM Re: Links to Music Sites
Jalapeño Offline
Star Member

What about their piano ped. books? I'm interested in the following books, if (& only if) they contain some valuable info. not found in other piano ped. books:

Planning Performances... (#10008, $12)

Practice Guide for Students, Parents & Teachers (#10002, $2)

Successful Studio Teaching (#10012, $15)

Can anyone tell me if these books are outstanding? Or do they just contain more of the SOS we see in all the other piano ped. books?

I just ordered the S. Bernstein books that Viv recommended. Can't wait 'til the Musi-Physi-Cality book arrives. ;\)

#15138 - 08/22/01 03:28 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeno:
I ordered the Artistry books quite a while ago, from Burt's. I think I got the last cassette tapes that were available for the performance books.

Jalapeno,

I don't know if that is true for the Artistry books or not but a year or so ago after trying to find the cassette tape to go with George's 4 Modern Suites and having absolutely no luck (out-of-print and almost no one ever had them in the first place -- probably why they were out of print), I found Mary Gae George's site which John lists above. I e-mailed her inquiring whether she had any of those cassettes available and I got a very fast and nice response. She was able to send me a "copy of a copy" but it was very good quality. If anyone has trouble finding any of the George cassettes for the Artistry books, you might try e-mailing Mary Gae. Alfred has given her permission to copy any of Jon's material which is out of print and it is possible that the publisher for the Artistry books has done the same.

I'm eagerly awaiting the release of their software Learning by Creating: Interactive Projects in Classical Improvising and Composing. The site still says "Coming Soon" -- it was coming soon when I first found the site in June 2000. :rolleyes: The description sounds intriguing.

Quote:
Learning by Creating is a self-contained, interactive, step-by-step computer study program for music students to use at home in their daily practice.

This powerful teaching tool immediately involves the student in the vast subject of music in clear, easy steps that deal with the CREATING of rhythm, form, and colour.

The program directly engages the student in the participatory process of DOING, which allows the student to arrive at the necessary “theoretical” concepts by way of discovery, experimentation, and exploration of the program’s innovative musical MATERIALS and ACTIVITIES.

The program is unique in that it does not require any lesson time – the student works actively at home with the program and brings the teacher the printed results.

Mary Gae said she would put me on the mailing list to receive info as soon as it becomes available. Oops! I'd better send her my new e-mail address. \:o I wouldn't want to miss any late-breaking news. ;\) \:D

#15139 - 08/22/01 03:34 PM Re: Links to Music Sites
Jalapeño Offline
Star Member

Rhaps: Thanks for reminding me about her software. I had completely forgotten about it. I want it, too. I haven't e-mailed her in a long while, so I reckon I'd better get in touch with her.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Easy Pachelbel Canon
by Jennifer
12/18/14 02:33 PM
Technique for 5-finger scales
by Tovka
12/18/14 10:25 AM
Payment Problems
by Bridget