Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#15028 - 06/10/01 03:20 PM Re: Any other message board
tomuch2do Offline

Loc: WI
My Piano Library kids all have up to 10 books (of course I don't assigned something out of each book every week). We do lots of flashcards and many drills for learning note names etc. I warn my parents right from the start that there will be 10 books that will be needed within the first 4 months, but that then the books will last a year.

I love their Ear Training and Sight Reading books, those were things I was not trained in when I was learning.

Yes, I use the recital books and the fun books. The kids have really taken a liking to the solo hits as well.

The technic books is wonderful and the repetition of using the groups over for a few weeks builds the confidence a few of my students seem to need.

I include the notespeller and composition books, because nothing teaches note reading like actually having to right a song on the grand staff. We all learned to spell words by taking spelling tests, to me the theory is the same.

I appreciate the support. I have been blasted by some on this board in the past (on another board) for using Alfred and had even been accused by one teacher (who also posts on this board)of not knowing what I was doing because I used Alfred, how could I subject my students to that kind of piano playing?

I think you guys are great and I have gotten much out of a lot of the conversations, I love the spirit everyone has here. This was never about not feeling welcome, I do feel welcome, I just wanted questions about using Alfred answered, I didn't want to be accused of not caring about my students because I don't us PA as my methods.

#15029 - 06/10/01 03:32 PM Re: Any other message board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Nobody should worry about what method they use. Besides, I'm of the opinion that at a fundamental level, Alfred, PA, Hal Leonard, Bastien, Glover, and others are all pretty much the same. Choice in method selection is an illusion, there are many pedagogical issues on which no choice is available.

What if I want a method that uses eighths and quarters instead of quarters and halves at the beginning? Peanuts is the only one I've found. (Well, Cole does, but it's pretty much a group only thing.)

What if I want a method that introduces counting with Tah and Ti and stays with it through level 5. No luck there.

What if I want a method that's based on jazz rep. Popular rep. Classical rep. Nope.

What if I want a method with no finger numbers so I can do it my own way? Nope.

What if I want a loose leaf method that I can hand out to a student on a week to week basis. No luck there. (okay, I could cut pages out of the book, but there's writing on both sides of each page - what if I don't want to give out both?)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#15030 - 06/10/01 04:18 PM Re: Any other message board
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
Keep in mind that the best teachers will tailor their teaching to you or your child's individual needs, rather than being wedded in all respects to a single approach.
Seymour Bernstein
;\)

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Vivace ]

#15031 - 06/10/01 04:49 PM Re: Any other message board
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jason:
What if I want a loose leaf method that I can hand out to a student on a week to week basis. No luck there. (okay, I could cut pages out of the book, but there's writing on both sides of each page - what if I don't want to give out both?)

It simply pains Dr. Kalmar to tell Jason otherwise :rolleyes: ;\) but you are incorrect, not to mention All Wet, on this point. (Well, actually on a few others too but I'm overwhelmed with the Flood of a Lifetime here so I'll just let it go for the meantime... \:D ) The Mayron Cole method is indeed loose leaf and pages are indeedy handed out on a lesson by lesson basis. If you have any other questions, direct them to Shelly (sdps) who is also an internationally certified instructor in addition to myself. I'd prefer she be the one here most closely associated with it.....

Lisa, wishing she could see Jason's face when he surveys the method, Kalmar :p

#15032 - 06/10/01 05:01 PM Re: Any other message board
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Kalmar:
The Mayron Cole method is indeed loose leaf and pages are indeedy handed out on a lesson by lesson basis. If you have any other questions, direct them to Shelly (sdps) who is also an internationally certified instructor in addition to myself. I'd prefer she be the one here most closely associated with it.....

Lisa,

You continue to be full of cerprises. You are (and can actually get) internationally certified in that method?!? I, too, would love to see Jason's face. You should have seen mine.

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

#15033 - 06/10/01 05:18 PM Re: Any other message board
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
:rolleyes: Internationally Certified to do what? and by whom? Mayron Cole?

#15034 - 06/10/01 05:48 PM Re: Any other message board
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Jason,

The Peanuts Course is one of the few I haven't seen. I started to order it a couple of years ago, but don't remember why I didn't. Any points of interest?

There is actually a method available without finger numbers -- Belwin Piano Method (Books 1-5) by June Weybright. She had another slightly older method also without finger numbers (Course for Pianists - Books 1-6), but it is mostly out-of-print.

John W. Schaum "POP" Piano Course was designed for junior-high and older. It became unavailable about 2 years ago. There is still Rachel Beatty Kahl's Popular Method which uses strictly music from Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals, but I seriously doubt anyone uses it as their core method.

Donald Beattie actually calls his books BEETHOVEN METHOD for Pianists but this is even less a method than Kahl's. The first piece is (you guessed it) "Ode to Joy" and at least the rhythm is correct. The second piece is "German Dance if F Major" arranged by Beattie but it has full chords and eighth notes. I doubt that even Beethoven could have learned with only that.

Bert Konowitz's Jazz/Rock Course is subtitled "A Complete Approach to Playing on Both Acoustic and Electronic Keyboards" but is really designed to be used with the Alfred Basic Piano Library since it doesn't teach fundamental theory or note reading.

N. Jane Tan's books begin with Ta and Ti but don't go to Level 5 and aren't really a method either.

I'm not searching for the perfect method but really enjoy what method creators think that would be. Maybe we should all put our little agreeable heads together and create the ultimate, perfect method -- one that would work best for every student and every teacher. I wouldn't want to be the editor. I may be crazy, but I'm not that stupid. ;\)

[ June 10, 2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

#15035 - 06/10/01 06:18 PM Re: Any other message board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Lisa,

I am aware of the Mayron Cole method, and it also begins with eighths and quarters if I'm not mistaken, but I always thought it was geared for use in group lessons and not for private. Am I wrong? Also...I believe it's only available directly from the publisher, and I don't recall ever seeing it at any conventions or workshops.

I'd love to survey the method, but I don't want to have to buy it to do so. If I remember, it's a rather expensive investment.

Regarding my comments, I didn't mean to sound like the things I want don't exist, I know many of them do. It's just that I don't have much *choice* in the matter. It would really help if the non-mainstream methods would do more to get their stuff out there.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa Kalmar:
It simply pains Dr. Kalmar to tell Jason otherwise :rolleyes: ;\) but you are incorrect, not to mention All Wet, on this point. (Well, actually on a few others too but I'm overwhelmed with the Flood of a Lifetime here so I'll just let it go for the meantime... \:D ) The Mayron Cole method is indeed loose leaf and pages are indeedy handed out on a lesson by lesson basis. If you have any other questions, direct them to Shelly (sdps) who is also an internationally certified instructor in addition to myself. I'd prefer she be the one here most closely associated with it.....

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#15036 - 06/10/01 06:24 PM Re: Any other message board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Rhapsody,

You're quite right that many other methods exist, but the publishers and/or authors for some reason aren't doing much to push their product.

I have to admit that one of the reasons I use FJH stuff so much is that they send PILES of samples to the director of our program. We just got a complete set of the new Celebration stuff a couple weeks ago and another box full of solos and a couple of the newer method books (level 5 or 3 pop rep if I remember correctly.) I also get stuff in the mail from Alfred from time to time. Do I ever hear from Schaum, Belwin, or anyone else? Do they have booths or showcases at the conventions? No!

And local music stores don't even carry most of this stuff. I can't afford to buy things sight unseen just to keep current, these publishers need to do more.

www.pianoped.com

#15037 - 06/10/01 07:35 PM Re: Any other message board
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Jason,

So do you mean you're looking for all of the items you mentioned in one method? Interesting!

Mayron markets her method for group teaching, and many "Cole" teachers also claim to use it successfully in private lessons. I actually used the highest level with a private teen student one time. \:o (There's some cute ideas for that age group.) I wish I'd've known when I moved here you would have liked to see it. I threw all of my teaching copies away when we moved to Texas cuz I didn't feel it worth the cost of United moving it with the household. If you're really nice to Shelly, maybe she'll part with her copies since you'll soon be a Texan too. Last I heard she'd found a unique use for them.

Rhapsody,

Since Mayron is a typical larger-than-life Texan, I took liberties to add "international" to the certified category. It's just the kind of flair she approves of. Regarding certification, anyone who takes her training comes out certified. The best part of her training is taking the Non-Weenie Oath and the dessert bars at the Hiltons she usually has the seminars at. She runs them like a Baptist revival, which partially explains why a friend and I both ended up with 5 digital pianos and Roland MT-200's in our basements a month after our training, even though we'd just gone to it out of curiosity and because a January seminar in Dallas promised a respite from the winter cold....

I love Mayron's group games and I love her business acumen. I made a ton of money when I taught group and have a house full of incredible Georgian casegoods to show for it still. \:D

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
How do you organize or store the duet downloads?
by FreyaLewis
04/18/14 07:33 AM
Welcome to the new online guide!
by FreyaLewis
04/18/14 07:24 AM
Duets for pre-staff beginners
by Meghan
04/16/14 11:07 PM
Children who make themselves at home
by DonnaH
04/16/14 09:55 PM
Group make-up lessons
by AmyEliz
04/15/14 12:24 PM
How much improvising should you let student do?
by Christi
04/12/14 10:05 PM
Bridal Chorus level 2
by SharonAdelle
04/11/14 02:03 PM
Song Suggestions
by Jennifer
04/09/14 03:08 PM
Adjusting MFPA for group preschool lessons?
by Niftynote
04/09/14 02:30 PM
First Book of Classical Pieces
by Q88keys
04/06/14 09:48 PM
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
DonnaH
Jennifer
Lindy
pianojazzgirl
SharonAdelle
EllaCat