Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Topic Options
#14999 - 05/24/01 06:54 AM Van Cliburn
Samuel Offline
Resident Member

I was watching my local news and they had a clip about the Van Cliburn contest being held in Dallas next week. The news reporter was interviewing some guy from Russia. He was taught to play by his mother and than was sent to the U.S. to train at Julliard. When he asked who his biggest motivator was, he said his mother. Every time he had a lesson with his mother, his mother would tell him "not to play like a pianist, but to play like a great pianist." I thought that was a pretty cool quote.
Does anyone know if PBS will be airing the Van Cliburns this year? Well got to go were leaving for vaction for two weeks. Were flying to Oregon to spend a week with family and than flying to Maine for a week and than back to Texas. Boy are my kids ever excited and hyper. Visit with you all in two weeks.

#15000 - 05/24/01 07:04 AM Re: Van Cliburn
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Newalla, Oklahoma, USA
Samuel, I am not sure but if I remember the PBS show usually doesn't show up until the fall. I have taped it 2 times and it is quite a treat. My dream would be to go the final night sometime. I am a member of the Van Cliburn Foundation but I haven't paid attention to the info because I know I can't go. The first time I saw it on PBS was the year Alexi Sutanuv (?) from Russia won. I believe he was 19. Wow, it was exciting and PBS puts it together so well. I don't think the second one was as exciting but you just had to see Alexi play. He made it extra exciting because he has quite a neat personality. As I said before, I have 2 on tape. If you ever want I can copy it and send it to you.

#15001 - 05/24/01 10:05 AM Re: Van Cliburn
pskim Offline

YES!!! I saw that broadcast when Alexis Soltanov won! "The Little Russian" as one of the audiences called him was great! And yes, that year's competition was the best of the Van Cliburn. One of my University professor went to that competition and he said that is was one of the best competitions he's been to. I think that was over ten years ago, because I was 19 when Alexis won the competition. Loved his Liszt's Maphisto waltz (remember the broken string?) and the concerto (the Rocky (Rachmaninoff) II). WOW!!!

#15002 - 05/24/01 12:29 PM Re: Van Cliburn
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

pskim, I am so happy to hear from someone else who saw the competition the year Alexis won. (I really did a job on his name) It was the best - I get chills when I think about it especially the broken string and the energy not to mention his smile. The last I heard about him he married and stayed in the United States. I thought that it was interesting because he and his parents were paid by the Russian government to study music. I believe his parents were violinists or at least one of them. He was asked why he didn't play the violin and his answer was-- he studied violin and he broke his and every instrument he tried he broke and they figured he couldn't break a piano.(but he did) I am sorry I can't quote it completely.
Watching that competition was the last time my mother and I were able to enjoy something together before she got really sick. Sweet memories. Thanks

#15003 - 05/24/01 05:43 PM Re: Van Cliburn
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
The generally accepted English spelling of his name is Alexei Sultanov.

His career has been marked by difficulties, including a strange career slump that began shortly after winning the Cliburn in '89 (a popular rumor involves trouble with alchohol), and a stroke in the mid 90's. He's currently recovering from a more recent stroke-related condition.

Check out http://alexeisultanov.com/
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#15004 - 05/24/01 06:33 PM Re: Van Cliburn
Janice Offline
Mainstay Member

Wow, Jason. I didn't know anything about his stroke. I receive things from the Van Cliburn Foundation but I guess it shows you what I haven't been reading lately! \:o I appreciate so much that you gave me the site info.

#15005 - 05/28/01 07:28 PM Re: Van Cliburn
Daisy Offline
Contributing Member

You can hear all the performances live or on demand at Cliburn.org. Audio only, I think.

#15006 - 05/28/01 08:43 PM Re: Van Cliburn
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
YES! I'm listening to Philipov right now. So far, I've heard Andrew Russo, Edna Stern, and Maxim Manioukov. This webcast is FANTASTIC! Everybody go listen RIGHT NOW!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#15007 - 05/28/01 09:33 PM Re: Van Cliburn
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Thanks, Daisy!!!

The web address for the webcast is http://www.webcasting.com/vc/ and archived files are supposed to be available until May 2005.

[ May 28, 2001: Message edited by: Rhapsody ]

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
middle school/high school scheduling conflicts
by Lindy
07/26/14 04:41 PM
What should I look for when buying a digital piano
by FreyaLewis
07/25/14 06:32 AM
Moving through the Waiting List
by Josephine