Click to the newly updated PreTime to BigTime Piano Library--VIDEOS, song lists, and more!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#14964 - 02/14/01 04:50 PM New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
A new piano ped. board, http://www.pedaplus.com/ , has reviews of many piano teaching methods, incl. PA & MT, that you might find interesting to read.

[This message has been edited by Jalapeno (edited 14 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jalapeno (edited 14 February 2001).]

Top
#14965 - 02/14/01 08:35 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
bethann Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 10/12/00
Posts: 359
Loc: Nebraska
Thanks for the info - I'm always scouring the web for new piano sites. I don't know about everyone else, but visiting other forums always makes me feel very lucky that the Fabers have created this one. Although we've had a few problems as of late, don't you think this forum is the easiest to use? I think it is much better organized and works a lot faster (you don't have to click on each specific post in order to read it.) Truthfully, this is the first forum I ever posted to, so maybe I just got accustomed to how it was set up. Nevertheless, thank you Fabers!

Top
#14966 - 02/14/01 09:30 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Registered: 06/20/00
Posts: 2972
Loc: Fresno, CA USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeno:
A new piano ped. board, http://www.pedaplus.com/ , has reviews of many piano teaching methods, incl. PA & MT, that you might find interesting to read.



I checked it out and note that the reviews of both Music Tree and Music Pathways are both reviews of outdated versions of both of those courses. In the case of Music Pathways, they reviewed an edition that hasn't been available since 1983!

I wonder how many other courses they reviewed that weren't current.

I also note that the reviews were done by pedagogy students, not people with years of teaching experience.


[This message has been edited by Arlene Steffen (edited 15 February 2001).]

Top
#14967 - 02/15/01 04:29 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
ROFLMREO! I thought you'd love those reviews, Arlene!

Top
#14968 - 02/16/01 11:58 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
JonathanE Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 01/10/01
Posts: 141
Loc: Pembine, WI, USA
I would like to clear up something here. My new website, www.pedaplus.com, is NOT primarily a message board (although I do have a message board as part of the site). The reviews that you are referring to are NOT part of my site, and no such reviews appear on the message board, which has only a few posts so far (almost all related to hymn playing, church music, etc). The reviews you seem to be referring to are on the MWSC site, which are linked from my links page. The most interesting feature of the www.pedaplus.com site as far as I'm concerned are the "Scorch2" (Sibelius software) files (piano and choral) and sacred arrangements (piano and choral). By the way, Scorch2 technology is VERY up-to-date - probably the best and fastest way to view and interact with scores online.
In addition, if you examine the Elementary Piano Literature course syllabus, you will see that the main method books we cover are Alfred, Bastien, Hal Leonard, and Faber Piano Adventures, with some coverage of Frances Clark and other older, but worthy, books. I personally find the Alfred, Hal Leonard, and Faber books to be the best, all with strengths and weaknesses. The magazine article list includes articles mainly from the 90's, with the exception of "The American Beginning Piano Method" articles from Piano Quarterly, which I happen to believe are seminal, important articles. Elementary Piano Lit. is taught every two years, and I update the articles for the course each time it is offered (next time, Spring of 2002).
Do you people really think that the ONLY good method books are the most recent ones?

Finally, I really like this "Piano Club," and wouldn't pretend to be able to compete with the format.

Top
#14969 - 02/17/01 09:45 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Registered: 05/14/00
Posts: 2019
Loc: Iowa City, IA
I was wondering about that, Arlene. I couldn't find any method reviews on Jonathan's site. All I found was a link to reviews done by students at MWSC that are a year old. Were there others I'm missing?
_________________________
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)


www.pianoped.com

Top
#14970 - 02/17/01 12:04 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
Well, I said that the reviews were on that site because they were linked to it. Sorry if I confused some folks.

I have a question, though. Why put links on your website if you don't agree with the content? On my own website, I only publish links to sites that I am in agreement with.

Top
#14971 - 02/17/01 12:30 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Registered: 05/14/00
Posts: 2019
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Probably because he intends his site primarily as a resource and not as advocacy.

 Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeno:
Well, I said that the reviews were on that site because they were linked to it. Sorry if I confused some folks.

I have a question, though. Why put links on your website if you don't agree with the content? On my own website, I only publish links to sites that I am in agreement with.
_________________________
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)


www.pianoped.com

Top
#14972 - 02/17/01 01:14 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Registered: 06/20/00
Posts: 2972
Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Jason: I was indeed to referring to the reviews done by the MWSC students.

Top
#14973 - 02/17/01 01:32 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Registered: 10/30/00
Posts: 1573
Loc: Chicago
ROFLMREO!

What does this mean?

Top
#14974 - 02/17/01 02:00 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lilla:
ROFLMREO!

What does this mean?


Rolling On Floor Laughing My Rear End Off. Lisa's version, ROFLMAO, means the same thing but with more colorful language.

Top
#14975 - 02/17/01 02:11 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
 Quote:
Originally posted by JonathanE:
I would like to clear up something here. My new website, www.pedaplus.com, is NOT primarily a message board (although I do have a message board as part of the site). The reviews that you are referring to are NOT part of my site, and no such reviews appear on the message board, which has only a few posts so far (almost all related to hymn playing, church music, etc). The reviews you seem to be referring to are on the MWSC site, which are linked from my links page. The most interesting feature of the www.pedaplus.com site as far as I'm concerned are the "Scorch2" (Sibelius software) files (piano and choral) and sacred arrangements (piano and choral). By the way, Scorch2 technology is VERY up-to-date - probably the best and fastest way to view and interact with scores online.
In addition, if you examine the Elementary Piano Literature course syllabus, you will see that the main method books we cover are Alfred, Bastien, Hal Leonard, and Faber Piano Adventures, with some coverage of Frances Clark and other older, but worthy, books. I personally find the Alfred, Hal Leonard, and Faber books to be the best, all with strengths and weaknesses. The magazine article list includes articles mainly from the 90's, with the exception of "The American Beginning Piano Method" articles from Piano Quarterly, which I happen to believe are seminal, important articles. Elementary Piano Lit. is taught every two years, and I update the articles for the course each time it is offered (next time, Spring of 2002).
Do you people really think that the ONLY good method books are the most recent ones?

Finally, I really like this "Piano Club," and wouldn't pretend to be able to compete with the format.


I never said that your message board was the main feature of your site. I just posted the URL on this message board so folks in the Piano Club could visit there.

As far as I'm concerned, if a site is linked to yours, then it's part of it, at least in the sense that I can access it through your site. If you don't agree with the info. published on those sites, for heaven's sake don't link those sites to yours.

Finally, I don't think that only the most recent piano methods are the best ones; however, I have tried numerous methods & find that the PA method works best for the students I presently teach. And, for what it's worth, I think the MT books are boring & shouldn't happen to a dog. I wouldn't be saying that right now except that some Piano Club members have asserted that those who criticize MT are inexperienced teachers & therefore don't know what they're talking about. I'm here to say, "Hey, wait a minute! I'm experienced. I've been around the block more than a few times. My opinion counts!"

Top
#14976 - 02/17/01 06:10 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
JonathanE Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 01/10/01
Posts: 141
Loc: Pembine, WI, USA
Thanks for your input. I am brand new at this web-publishing business, and still have a lot to learn (I'm having a lot of fun doing it, you bet [no, I'm not from Minnesota]). I intend to keep updating it and revising as necessary (I just added a "what's new" page). I must say one thing, though: If I were in complete agreement with the sites I linked to, I probably wouldn't link to a single one, including this one [never mind...]. Must I agree with everything any person posts on this site? For example, I link to a web page called "Pulse Patterning" which has some interesting ideas, but I certainly don't agree with all of the ideas presented there. I also link to things like the Taubman Institute (in which I am interested), and was glad to see the website - however, I don't know enough about her ideas to know where I would agree or disagree. There's the website, you see, where I can find out how to find out more! Since when is a linking policy a conformity policy? (Yo!)

Top
#14977 - 02/17/01 06:29 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Eric Offline
Star Member

Registered: 04/04/00
Posts: 2325
Loc: New York, NY
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jalapeno:
As far as I'm concerned, if a site is linked to yours, then it's part of it, at least in the sense that I can access it through your site. If you don't agree with the info. published on those sites, for heaven's sake don't link those sites to yours.


I disagree with you on this one, JalaPeno! I think providing links to a vast array of information is a wonderful service, and not necessarily advocacy, as Jason pointed out. Here at pianoteaching.com, there's the "Links to Other Sites" thread, which I think is in the archives now, and it's SO helpful, yet I'm sure not ALL those links respresent the philosophy of the Fabers. What you're asking Jonathan to do is to take sides, rather than be a provider of information. Kind of like that bookstore I mentioned in another thread, where instead of a wealth of information, there was only propaganda. We don't need that.

 Quote:

some Piano Club members have asserted that those who criticize MT are inexperienced teachers & therefore don't know what they're talking about.


True, but out of a hundred and seventy members, there are only two that I can think of who hold this uppity attitude. That's not only to be expected, but welcomed, right? We need a diversity of opinions, even when they're flat-out WRONG!



[This message has been edited by Eric Rockwell (edited 17 February 2001).]

Top
#14978 - 02/17/01 06:29 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
 Quote:
Originally posted by JonathanE:
Thanks for your input. I am brand new at this web-publishing business, and still have a lot to learn (I'm having a lot of fun doing it, you bet [no, I'm not from Minnesota]). I intend to keep updating it and revising as necessary (I just added a "what's new" page). I must say one thing, though: If I were in complete agreement with the sites I linked to, I probably wouldn't link to a single one, including this one [never mind...]. Must I agree with everything any person posts on this site? For example, I link to a web page called "Pulse Patterning" which has some interesting ideas, but I certainly don't agree with all of the ideas presented there. I also link to things like the Taubman Institute (in which I am interested), and was glad to see the website - however, I don't know enough about her ideas to know where I would agree or disagree. There's the website, you see, where I can find out how to find out more! Since when is a linking policy a conformity policy? (Yo!)



You don't have to agree with anything that anyone posts on this site. However, I think you're splitting hairs here.

I posted your URL so people on this site could visit & read the info. there, incl. the link to the piano method reviews. As far as I'm concerned, that link is part of your site 'cuz it's linked to it. If you have a problem with that, then you just have a problem. I might add that your attitude doesn't inspire me to visit or post on your message board. I'll stick with this site, thank you very much.

Top
#14979 - 02/17/01 07:20 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Registered: 05/14/00
Posts: 2019
Loc: Iowa City, IA
I rather like Jonathan's site. I wish there were more like it!

I also don't see how anyone could think that the reviews are part of Pedagogy Plus. For starters:

1) It's listed on a "Links" page alongside www.pianoteaching.com, are you saying you consider pianoteaching.com to be a part of his site as well?

2) It clearly says "Missouri Western State College" right next to the link. Most internet piano nerds will recognize that as the home of Brent Hugh.

3) The reviews page opens in a separate window - reinforcing the notion that the link is to an external source. (CNN.com operates the same way)
_________________________
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)


www.pianoped.com

Top
#14980 - 02/17/01 07:23 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Registered: 05/14/00
Posts: 2019
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Come on, Eric, don't be shy, step up to the plate and tell us just who these two people are! If you're gonna call somebody uppity, at least have the guts to call them by name so they can defend themselves. :P :P :P


 Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Rockwell:
True, but out of a hundred and seventy members, there are only two that I can think of who hold this uppity attitude. That's not only to be expected, but welcomed, right? We need a diversity of opinions, even when they're flat-out WRONG!

[This message has been edited by Eric Rockwell (edited 17 February 2001).]
_________________________
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)


www.pianoped.com

Top
#14981 - 02/17/01 07:46 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
JonathanE Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 01/10/01
Posts: 141
Loc: Pembine, WI, USA
Jalapeno, I'm sorry that I missed one thing. You mentioned your own website. Would you mind publishing the URL (maybe you already did somewhere; I'm kind of new here)? In fact, I DO appreciate your mentioning mine - thanks!

Top
#14982 - 02/17/01 08:32 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/19/00
Posts: 2329
JonathanE,

Thanks for all the interesting links -- many I am familiar with, but there are several that are new to me. It seems quite clear to me that the MWSC Piano Pedagogy reviews of teaching methods is not part of your site. And if a site has to endorse everything at a link site then the whole concept of linking and search engines is totally different than I thought it was. I find sites that I have no interest in, but I send the links to some of my friends and they appreciate the information knowing full well that I am not responsible for what they may find at the sites. I downloaded Scorch but haven't tried it yet since I have a very old version of Netscape and just got V. 6 which Scorch is not designed for. I plan to also upgrade my Internet Explorer so it will probably work with that.

Jason,

Your points as to why MWSC and JonathanE's site are separate make it very clear.


From what little time I spent looking at the MWSC method reviews, I surmised (as did Arlene) that they were written by students in the piano pedagogy classes. If I am correct, these are relatively inexperienced students/teachers who are using set guidelines to review the methods for a pedagogy course. Some of the reviews are quite interesting and the reviewers often mention that a less than ideally sequenced method (in my opinion) are good for "the student who wants to study the piano seriously." This goes back to the idea set forth by Max Camp that the serious or "gifted" student is the model for methods and that it often makes little difference for these students in what order concepts are presented. They seem to learn to play almost instinctively.

I'm not sure on this site who is "uppity" but I think we often see ourselves quite differently from the way we come across to others -- especially in written language. As for me, why I'm meek and demure, of course!
_________________________
There is no cure for boring.

Top
#14983 - 02/17/01 09:51 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Eric Offline
Star Member

Registered: 04/04/00
Posts: 2325
Loc: New York, NY
Jason, if you're truly curious, you might check out the archival thread linked below!

http://www.pianoteaching.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000010/HTML/20001205-4-000031.html

Top
#14984 - 02/18/01 12:38 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jason Offline
Star Member

Registered: 05/14/00
Posts: 2019
Loc: Iowa City, IA
Aha! That was before I was member I think. Seems like it was a fun discussion.

All this reminds me of a funny story.

Someone came up to a friend of mine and said something like "I can't stand you, you're so arrogant!"

...to which he replied...

"I'm not arrogant, I'm just better than you."




 Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Rockwell:
Jason, if you're truly curious, you might check out the archival thread linked below!

http://www.pianoteaching.com/ubb/Archives/Archive-000010/HTML/20001205-4-000031.html

_________________________
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)


www.pianoped.com

Top
#14985 - 02/18/01 08:24 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
JonathanE Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 01/10/01
Posts: 141
Loc: Pembine, WI, USA
I want to thank all of you kind people who have taken time to look at my site. And I want to apologize if I've gotten too defensive and caused hard feelings. It was very kind of Jalapeno to mention my site on this board, and I should have acknowledged that from the start!

I also want to say that nobody knows better than the teachers who are out there every day working with students, what books and materials work best. As a teacher in a college setting, I need to keep my ear close to the ground. It is also interesting to see how college students (perhaps experienced, perhaps not) will evaluate books (old or new), and then compare to how they perceive them once they've used them in real settings. A student who recently graduated from our college teaches in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC, has gotten involved in the local teacher group, and is absolutely sold on the Faber and Faber materials!

[This message has been edited by JonathanE (edited 18 February 2001).]

Top
#14986 - 02/18/01 02:18 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Registered: 04/10/00
Posts: 4277
Loc: KC
Jonathan,
Add my wee voice to the cacophony of fellow pianistic internet nerds who appreciate your site also. This board can get prickly from time to time, but most of the folks are well-intentioned and don't bite (for the most part) so please hang around. Can you tell us more about yourself and your program?

Eric,
Thanks for resurrecting that old thread. I about had a Depends Moment all over again reading it! Is it me and my memory, or did some of the really good snotty stuff disappear?

Top
#14987 - 02/18/01 03:27 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
 Quote:
Originally posted by Jason:
I rather like Jonathan's site. I wish there were more like it!

I also don't see how anyone could think that the reviews are part of Pedagogy Plus. For starters:

1) It's listed on a "Links" page alongside www.pianoteaching.com, are you saying you consider pianoteaching.com to be a part of his site as well?

2) It clearly says "Missouri Western State College" right next to the link. Most internet piano nerds will recognize that as the home of Brent Hugh.

3) The reviews page opens in a separate window - reinforcing the notion that the link is to an external source. (CNN.com operates the same way)


Jason, I can read, & I'm smart enough to know that the reviews were from MWSC. I never said that the reviews were from Jonathan. And, FYI, on Brent Hugh's site, Jon himself posted an announcement about his message board, with that very same URL. I simply posted the URL for the message board & mentioned that there were some reviews that people might want to read. I figured people would be smart enough to find them, the same way I did, by navigating the site, reading & clicking. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that people would get so nitpicky.

Top
#14988 - 02/18/01 04:54 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
 Quote:
Originally posted by JonathanE:
I want to thank all of you kind people who have taken time to look at my site. And I want to apologize if I've gotten too defensive and caused hard feelings. It was very kind of Jalapeno to mention my site on this board, and I should have acknowledged that from the start!

I also want to say that nobody knows better than the teachers who are out there every day working with students, what books and materials work best. As a teacher in a college setting, I need to keep my ear close to the ground. It is also interesting to see how college students (perhaps experienced, perhaps not) will evaluate books (old or new), and then compare to how they perceive them once they've used them in real settings. A student who recently graduated from our college teaches in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC, has gotten involved in the local teacher group, and is absolutely sold on the Faber and Faber materials!

[This message has been edited by JonathanE (edited 18 February 2001).]


Apology accepted. And thanks for acknowledging that a method, no matter how good it looks on print, isn't much good unless it works for the teachers & students who are using it! Each teacher should make decisions based on what meets the needs of his/her students, not based on what worked when they themselves were taking lessons or on what works in other teachers' studios.

Top
#14989 - 02/18/01 06:06 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/19/00
Posts: 2329
I read more of the piano method reviews done by the piano pedagogy class at the MWSC site and I think they're rather cute. Not all that useful -- but fun to read and realize what a shock it may be for some of these dedicated students when they start teaching.

Different parts of the review of a single method were often done by several different students which makes them a little disjoint at times. And since they were done by many different students, their value for someone wanting a method comparison is limited. But they reviewed some methods I am not familiar with (the German & Russian methods) and entertained me as well.
_________________________
There is no cure for boring.

Top
#14990 - 02/18/01 09:11 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Joy123 Offline
Mainstay Member

Registered: 05/22/00
Posts: 566
JonathanE: I like your site! Keep up the good work!

Top
#14991 - 02/19/01 03:11 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
allegra Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 09/13/00
Posts: 326
I visired the MWSC site and saw that Arlene was posting there. There was a lively discussion among her, a few others, and "Music Educator". I have a pretty good idea of who Music Educator is. Go to page 5 of this site and read the post started by Music Educator. See if y0u agree wuth me that Music Educator is none other then our own "J,,,,,,," .
_________________________
Allegra www.gwwms.com/piano2/homepage.htm

Top
#14992 - 02/19/01 08:08 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
 Quote:
Originally posted by allegra:
I visired the MWSC site and saw that Arlene was posting there. There was a lively discussion among her, a few others, and "Music Educator". I have a pretty good idea of who Music Educator is. Go to page 5 of this site and read the post started by Music Educator. See if y0u agree wuth me that Music Educator is none other then our own "J,,,,,,," .



No duh! I make no secret of being M.E. As a matter of fact, on this site I've already posted that I'm M.E. over at the B.H. site. As for getting into things with Arlene, I have a lot of respect for her; it's just that we're both, uh, "steadfast" as Eric likes to put it.

Top
#14993 - 02/20/01 03:40 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Katrina Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 09/21/00
Posts: 123
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rhapsody:
I read more of the piano method reviews done by the piano pedagogy class at the MWSC site and I think they're rather cute. Not all that useful -- but fun to read and realize what a shock it may be for some of these dedicated students when they start teaching.

Different parts of the review of a single method were often done by several different students which makes them a little disjoint at times. And since they were done by many different students, their value for someone wanting a method comparison is limited. But they reviewed some methods I am not familiar with (the German & Russian methods) and entertained me as well.


Rhapsody: I read some of the reviews today & agree that they're interesting to read even if they were done by students. What did you think about the statement that Piano Adventures moves too fast & that teachers should use supplementary materials to slow it down?

Top
#14994 - 02/20/01 05:25 PM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Rhapsody Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/19/00
Posts: 2329
Katrina,

The statement that PA "proceeds at a very fast pace" was one of the most surprising things in all of the reviews. This is the first time I've ever seen that criticism. And yet for the German piano method (Die Klavierfibel) which goes from square one to polytonal music in just one book, no mention is made of it moving at lightning speed. It is simply "Very good and clear for students who want to study piano in a serious way."

It is very difficult for students (especially the very talented) who haven't taught beginners much and/or can't remember what it was like when they were learning to grasp what goes into the learning process in the early stages. When I review a method I try to put aside all knowledge of piano and pretend that I can't play at all. Then as each concept and each new piece of music is introduced I try to see if it fits together and makes sense and is easy to follow -- not just mentally but physically. Trying to envision where coordination and other problems might occur and determining what to do to make the learning process smoother is not that easy a task. Individual differences in ability and application have to be considered.

What amazes me is the number of older methods that seem to think that simply presenting concepts in a logical, orderly fashion is all that's needed. They forget that, for most students, it takes time for the concepts to be mastered and that giving "something new every lesson" needs to be mixed with lots of review of older concepts. And the goal isn't to just get through the basics as quickly as possible so that the classics can be played. Artisty and musical understanding must be developed from the very beginning through the use of appealing music .

Piano Adventures moves slowly enough for almost all students and has plenty of enjoyable supplemental materials to use for added reinforcement. Even the early level music is appealing and it keeps students interested. Some students might benefit from more challenging material at certain points but the presentation of concepts and the emphasis on artistry make the PA method something quite special that the student reviewers won't be able to comprehend until they use it with students of their own.
_________________________
There is no cure for boring.

Top
#14995 - 02/21/01 08:08 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Jalapeņo Offline
Star Member

Registered: 11/04/00
Posts: 5712
Rhapsody, I couldn't have said things better myself! IMO, PA is a thorough, well-paced method. And it does help to try to remember how long it took us to learn certain concepts & skills, & to remind ourselves of how much supplementary repertoire books our teachers had to use to make the older, faster-paced methods work.

Top
#14996 - 02/23/01 09:44 AM Re: New Piano Ped. Board
Katrina Offline
Resident Member

Registered: 09/21/00
Posts: 123
Thanks for the well-worded response, Rhapsody. I totally agree.

Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >


Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Easy Pachelbel Canon
by Jennifer
12/18/14 02:33 PM
Technique for 5-finger scales
by Tovka
12/18/14 10:25 AM
Payment Problems
by Bridget
12/18/14 08:50 AM
Beginner Rhythm Struggles... HELP!
by Bridget
12/18/14 08:40 AM
Family Traveling for 3 Months
by EllaCat
12/17/14 12:40 PM
Advanced Adult Student with weak finger technique
by Beginningteacher
12/17/14 11:46 AM
Recital Frustrations
by Jennifer
12/16/14 04:43 PM
Cost for daycare music class
by Nyke
12/14/14 08:15 PM
conquering performance anxiety
by SharonAdelle
12/11/14 09:37 PM
audio teaching aids
by butcherfingers
12/09/14 09:36 PM
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
7
Jennifer
5
EllaCat
2
Leigh
2
butcherfingers
2
Joyful
2
tombobshir
2
Bridget
2
Nyke
1
bjoyful
1
Tovka
Newest Members
Aria, Bailey, Beginningteacher, princessfluffy, Cynthia
2572 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2572 Members
46 Forums
5685 Topics
62624 Posts

Max Online: 273 @ 01/14/13 12:57 PM